April 21, 2006

Losing Friends and Annoying People

Why do some people want to be disliked? I’m referring specifically to the strange phenomena of one person purposely trying to push another one’s buttons.

The other day, I was having lunch with some co-workers. I was joined by Miss Paris, whom I’ve written about before, and “Hank,” named changed to protect me.

Hank annoys Miss Paris, and to some extent, me. He likes to make a loud nonsensical noise in public. The closest thing it sounds like is a nanny goat asking “huh?”

He also likes to discuss the bathroom habits of Chickpea, our boss.

Sometimes, when we ride with him in his SUV, he likes to honk his horn for no reason, other than it annoys Miss Paris. I just think he’s a jackass and shrug it off. However, Miss Paris and I have both recently decided never to ride with again, and the other day at lunch, we took a separate car from him. I know, that wasn’t very green of us — especially these days.

At lunch, Hank began doing discussing the bathroom habits of chickpea. Miss Paris showed disdain and politely told him to shut-up. His face lit up. He was happy that he was annoying Miss Paris, so he kept doing it. I quickly asked someone else at the table a question, promptly forcing a change of subject.

Hank knows that these things he does annoy Miss Paris, so he does them. On purpose.

A friend of mine from my hometown in Mississippi used to side off against me each year at the Ole Miss vs. Miss. State “Egg Bowl.” I liked Ole Miss and think about as highly of Miss. State as I do of that gray-haired spasmo on American Idol (my guilty pleasure, I’m ashamed to admit). Anyway, this year, my pal confessed that she only rooted for Miss. State to “piss me off.” I looked at her and said, “Why would you do that? Why would you want to make someone lose respect for you?”

I would like to think it made her think. I would like to think that this post will make everyone reading it think. Why would anyone purposely try to annoy someone else? You might find it amusing, but they find you annoying, and ultimately, they like you less. Is that the goal of people behaving badly? To be hated? Here I’ve been blaming it on bad parents, poor manners and the W administration – okay, I reserve the right to keep blaming them – but maybe it all boils down to poor self-esteem. The annoying person thinks they are worthless and they need to validate that feeling.

Nah. They just suck, that’s all.