May 17, 2006

Taylor Hicks Must Be Stopped

My friends have emailed/called lately saying, “Binx, you’re back from Asia, blog will you? Blog about your experience.”

Fine. Asia is an unstoppable force, it’s the new It Girl, their economy is a freight train, they eat chicken feet and snake, blah, blah, blog. More on Asia later. What I need to write about tonight is that I’m obsessing over my latest guilty pleasure : American Idol. I admit that with great shame, by the way, so before you boo me, don’t worry, I’ve booed myself. It’s like heroin and I blame my husband for this because he got me started on that, as well as bad Chardonnay I might add.

Point is, Taylor Hicks, that gray-haired, spastic, chubby Southerner is to AI what George Bush is to America. An embarrassment. Both of them make Southerners look like the dumb hicks Yankees have made us out to be for years. I can only hope that AI is rigged, and that Taylor is truly not the 50 million AI voters’ number one choice. If so, it’s the 2004 elections all over again, without the war , the wire-tapping, and the conservative-stacked Supreme Court.

If Taylor wins AI, it’s not the end of the world, we’ll leave that to the W administration, but it is truly embarrassing. That boy is a mess – much more than any of my relatives could aspire to be. He’s painful to watch, with his epileptic moves and that incessant squatting (sweetie, are you constipated? There’s over-the-counter stuff for that). His singing is just okay, and honestly, he needs to be shot for trying to cover a Bruce Springsteen song last night. When Clive Davis assigned “Dancing in the Dark,” Taylor should have been a man and said, “What, you want me to be sacrilegious?” And keep in mind “Dancing in the Dark” is my least favorite Bruce song, so I must be serious.

Is he better than Katherine, his opponent? Oh, who cares? I gave up “Lost” for this crap. I should be spending my time reading a good book, exercising, or working on my writing. Instead, I’ve got brain rot and I’m outraged that a prematurely gray-haired spastic hick is probably going to be the next Idol. Would this happen in China? No. They would produce a knock-off of him, which at least might could be viewed as Ironic. Taylor must be stopped, and frankly, AI must be stopped. As for me, next week, I’m watching the season finale of “Lost.” Where is that little Walt boy anyway?