June 15, 2006

Southern Gal Don't Need Them Around Anyhow


You’re two years into your party’s second term. Polls are low (but up a tad lately!), the deficit is huge and the war is hell. What are you gonna do? What are you gonna do? (Imagine Keaunu Reeves saying these last two lines. It works better.)

You are going to publish a list of the 50 greatest conservative rock songs! National Review did just that. Mr. John Miller, who compiled the list, defined the criteria: "The lyrics must convey a conservative idea or sentiment, such as skepticism of government or support for traditional values. And, to be sure, it must be a great rock song."

Who’s at the top of the list. No, that’s not a question. The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again," which Miller calls a theme song for "disillusioned revolutionaries" who've forsaken their naive idealism. Also in the top 10 are "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys (for its pro-abstinence and -marriage message, which is ironic because I lost my virginity in the back seat of someone's car fifty milion years ago to that song), "Gloria" by U2 (that Bono is such a neocon) and "Revolution" by the Beatles. Other selections include songs by Bob Dylan's "Neighborhood Bully", David Bowie's "Heroes" (Republicans can be heroes, but just for one day) and John Mellencamp's "Small Town".

Okay, I am an iTunes freak and I just compiled my favorite list of classics, with “Heroes” right at the top. So kudos to David Bowie. I almost put the Who’s “My Generation” on the CD, but nixed it in favor of Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold.” Speaking of Neil Young, I am reminded of “Southern Man,” also on my classics CD, which reminds me of “Sweet Home Alabama,” and I have to say, I’m not surprised that one made NR’s list. “Southern man don’t need him [Neil Young] around anyhow,” sounds like Trent Lott waxing poetic.

My list won’t be as famous as NR’s, but my liberal friends will enjoy listening to the compilation. So will my conservative friends -- all three of them.