July 28, 2006

Googling to Feel Better

When I travel, I spend long hours sitting in airport terminals reading magazines or eavesdropping on conversations. The writer in me turns on when faced with long waits in a public place. One thing I’ve noticed, is that people like to talk about what they are angry about when they are waiting. They are angry about flight delays or the trip behind them, perhaps the trip ahead.

When I returned home, inspiration struck and I Googled the words, “I’m Angry.” It turned out to be an interesting experiment. What the search yielded were many links to blogs where bloggers had written the words, “I’m angry.” There are many angry bloggers out there, let me tell you.

Some were touching. A parent was angry at losing a child. Most had to do with broken hearts, particularly scorned lover. “I’m angry that he left me for a whore.” “I’m angry I spent so much money on me and she left me for a ripped hard body.” “I’m angry that I made him my obsession for four years and he dumped me like a used carton of milk.”

Republicans were angry at Liberals. No matter what Republicans say about Liberals, one thing is certain: they hate liberals more than liberals hate them. Maybe that is why they keep winning political offices.

In my Google search, the word “Hate” kept cropping up. Hate is a strong emotion, there are times when it is stronger than love. I have had to work with certain people over the years that I have truly hated. They are without merit. They are demons in human form, albeit, they are not very attractive humans. The thing I hate about these demon/humans is their inability to see themselves as they are, their incapacity to take responsibility for their shortcomings.

Point is, those people make me angry. Maybe when you are in a stable relationship, rather than obsessing about your love life, you obsess about your work life. Your annoyance with your coworkers becomes amplified when you are content with the rest of your life. I got curious just how many people out there felt that they either now, or had in the past had bad coworkers. I Googled, “I hate my coworkers.” 4,920,000 hits came up. When I Googled, “I’m angry,” I got 43,400,000 hits. Lots of people hate their coworkers, but even more are angry in general.

Madonna once said something along the lines of “Life is too short to be bitter and I’m too short, too.” If she didn’t say that, it would have been a good thing to say.

So tonight, as I write this, I’m not really angry about anything. Life, like me, is just too short.