January 21, 2007

Another Blogger Blogging about Hillary

Hillary Clinton is running for president. All the talking heads are chattering about the meaning of this. According to them, she’s going to win the Primaries. I think that is silly talk this early in the game. Obama has barely had his day in the sun, and John Edwards is started to make a lot of sense.

I’m not sure how I feel about Hillary running. I crazy like that woman, don’t get me wrong. She’s tough, bitchy, smart, and apart from her banal power suits, she’s a formidable opponent for anyone, especially another politician wearing a banal power suit.

Is she formidable enough, though? What bothers me is that when I lived in San Francisco, a liberal city by any standards, I knew a lot of women (and men) who hated Hillary. Out here in Vegas, where the sand and dry air seem to be fertile breeding ground for Republicans, she’s overly hated. Then there is the Deep South. My Southern relations pray to God, Jesus, W, and Faith Hill that the “Yankee senator bitch” will die a violent tar and feathers death.” Hey, that’s their words, not mine.

I always cringe at such Hillary-bashing. Personally, she only let me down once: I was annoyed that she defended Bill during the Lewinsky thing. If my husband told me he didn’t have sex with a chubby intern, but had instead played cigar sex with her and gotten a blowjob, I would have kicked his butt out on the street quicker than you can say “We took New Hampshire.” If Hillary would have kicked Bill's butt out on the street, no matter how much we liked him as President, I think she would have shed herself of some baggage that may haunt her to this day, which could also translate into more votes.

But that’s old news. The new news is that Hillary is running. I would love to see her become president. I would also love to win Mega Bucks, lose the ten pounds I’ve been trying to lose since 1998, develop gracefulness, never have to deal with a jackass again, and rid myself of crows feet. Since none of that is likely to happen, I can only assume that if Hillary wins the primary, she’ll lose the presidency due to all the bad press she’s had over the years (deserved or not) and we will have another four years, (at least) of a Republican president.

Please, I have a hangover from the current presidency. Another Republican is likely to make my head explode.