July 03, 2007

Brother Can You Spare a Scooter?

Um, is this irony? If so I’m not getting it. Sheryl Gay Stolberg (there’s a joke in that name somewhere, I just haven’t found it) writes in the Washington Post: “President Bush’s decision to commute the sentence of I. Lewis Libby Jr. was the act of a liberated man — a leader who knows that, with 18 months left in the Oval Office and only a dwindling band of conservatives still behind him, he might as well do what he wants.”

I wonder if Sheryl is like my pal KB’s token Republican friend, Beverly. I’ve known Beverly for the last four years, and during that time, two things remain constant. 1) Her love for George W. Bush, and 2) She’s always drunk. But it’s okay because she has fabulous taste in wine and has taught me about a couple good vineyards that produce consistent wine in the $30 range. I will always, and I mean always, tolerate a Republican who has good taste in wine.

But this is not a post about wine (damn, now I want wine). This is about the demise of what was once an evil marketing empire. W, I have two words for you: Mark Rich. Remember when Clinton pardoned him and your team just raised utter hell. Clinton had just sort of bounced back from the public relations mess of his last term (spearheaded by the Republicans) and the last thing he does is pardon a crone.

This is a bit different, especially in the timing as we have 18 more months of W to suffer through. But it is not much different. Letting a crone off easy is, well, cronyism. Cronyism works really well when I get to be the one who benefits from it. Oh now, I didn't mean that. Truly (Love me, W. Love me!)

Okay, no joking around, this was W showing his cards, showing his real self. Sheryl is somewhat right. I wouldn't call what he's done the act of a liberated man. He would have done the same thing in 2002 if given the chance. This is the act of an ass. Cue Cindy Lauper. "I see your true colors shining through. . ."