April 29, 2008

Hey mister, did I ask your opinion?

I went to see Bill Maher and Tony Snow with my friend E.D. last night. Despite the fact that he comes across as a misogynist, and despite the fact that he likes Obama better than Hillary, I still like Maher. I don’t know much about Tony Snow, other than I disagreed with almost everything he said. He did look well, though, despite his battles with cancer.

I could write at length at the funny, pithy lines from Maher----“Gas prices are up 200% and our president just happens to be an oilman” for instance---but, instead, I want to take a moment to say something to all the people who had to shout out their disapproval every-time either Snow or Maher said something they did not like.

“Oh for God’s sake, shut the f$%! up.”

Yes, I’m talking to you, to that man in front of me who kept saying, “You’re stupid, Snow!” I may not be a fan of Tony Snow, but he was on that stage as a featured guest, while meanwhile, you buddy, are stuck in the rafters with me. Or to the other guy down the aisle from us who kept jeering Bill Maher. I got a look at you, mister. I wouldn’t be jeering anyone. Then there was the woman behind me who kept hissing. I don’t know. This is LA. Maybe her breasts had sprung a leak.

We paid $85 to go see Bill Maher. We didn’t pay $85 so angry audience members could express themselves. The event promotional material didn’t say anything about group therapy.

Of all the one-liners and pithy zingers levied last night, something Maher said really struck me, and it was nothing provocative. He mentioned that the election is six months away. We don’t even have a candidate yet, but it doesn’t matter, because what is important is that McCain is defeated, and no matter what the polls show, I think an awful lot of people feel the same way. Yet it’s clear there’s also an awful lot of people that don’t; they say they want change, but for some reason think McCain is that change. It’s going to be an ugly six months ahead. Friends are going to start fighting and jeering and hissing each other, and I'm not talking about leaky breasts or snakes gone wild. Everyone has an opinion, even if they don't have facts. And in the end, we are all going to be united over one thing: what's up with undecided voters? How can they not have an opinion one way or the other?

If I were Bill Maher, I'd have a funny way of closing this post. I'd say something provocative and biting, and you would get a belly laugh out of it. Unfortunately for you, I'm not Bill. So cue the hissing lady already.