April 17, 2008

Say it ain't so, Bruce!

I'm sure you all have heard the terrible news. No, Lindsey is not back in rehab (well, maybe she is, I'm not keeping up.) My hero, my own personal Jesus, my rock god, and the man I was meant to marry from the time I was thirteen, Bruce Springsteen, endorsed Obama for president Wednesday, saying "he speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years." In a letter addressed to friends and fans posted to his Web site, Bruce said he believes Obama is the best candidate to undo "the terrible damage done over the past eight years."

Bruce, why? Hillary is the better candidate! Ask her a question, she'll give you an answer. And best of all, men are afraid of her: think about how she'll have those world leaders running for cover.

Look, the democrats can put a beer can up there and I'll vote for it if that's my only choice---hey, I've just started a new breed of democrat. Forget the Yellow Dog Dem, I'm the Beer Can Dem.

The irony is that if Obama speaks to the America Bruce envisioned in his music, then Hillary speaks to the America I've envisioned in Bruce's music. Bruce's musical landscape is about hope, redemption and always searching for that act that will suffice. Except for "57 Channels and Nothing On." I'm not sure what that mess was about. Hillary is a no-nonsense girl who wants to give health care coverage to everyone (hope), get us out of Iraq (more or less redemption as she helped put us there, which she's had to answer for time and again) and the mere fact that her own personal quest is to be the first female president speaks to her holy grail, i.e, that act that will suffice. Yes, you can say all the above about Obama, as they really aren't that far apart on issues, it's just how they discuss the issues. I never know what Obama is saying. Some people call that eloquent, I call it over-the-top writing.

What disturbs me about Bruce's endorsement, is, like John Edwards, he could have waited. Why not just support the final winner, be it Hillary, Obama, or a bottle of Miller Lite (this country needs to lose weight).

Of course, now that I evoke Edwards, watch, he'll come out in support of Obama. Oh Hillary, I love you even if no one else does. Course that could be your problem right there . .