January 02, 2009

Happy New Administration!

Oh Glorious New Year, full of Hope, full of Audacity . . . lacking almost completely in George W. Bush! We are down to the final days of his administration. Good-bye, Condi. Come out, come out and you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. Good-bye Dick. Whadda Dick! Good-bye W, you crossed-eyed arrogant cowboy. I'm not going to miss hating you.

Hello Hillary! My (hopefully) Madame Secretary! It's like your die-hard fans got what they wanted after all. You may not be our President (once more with feeling: sigh) but we still have a Clinton-influenced White House. And I'm loving the rumors that Bill will take over your seat. I don't think it will happen, but it's fun entertaining the thought.

Hello Obama! You weren't my first choice, but you seem to have made all the right moves. I was really angry when you made Biden your VP, but in retrospect, the world needs Hillary as the SoS right now.  Also, can I just say: Whoa. I would not want your  job. Who would? That W has left you one hell of a mess. I wish you the best of luck, because we all need you to have luck. In fact, Luck may be the only thing that saves our butts at this point, thanks to how badly things got screwed up in the last 8 years.

I start every year full of hope and resolution. The resolutions fall away, a reflection of my own personal failures. Sadly, the hope ebbs, too. This year, we have a new start, individually and as a country. As Republicans have pointed out, Hope is not a strategy, but it's a relief to feel hopeful again. So here's hoping to a wonderful, fabulous 2009. If nothing else, Bruce Springsteen has a new CD coming out this month, and that is something to dance about.