January 15, 2009

A W-less World

In just a few days there will be no more W for bloggers and comedians to make fun of or complain about. My God. I'm going to miss that. We had so much fun. I said to my boyfriend last night, after chuckling about a joke David Letterman made about Dick Cheney," I'm sorry, but here's the downside: Joe Biden jokes just are not as funny as Cheney jokes," to which my often-prophetic boyfriend said, "Oh honey, give Joe time."

W and Cheney provided tons of comedic fodder. Maybe Joe will, too, as he can be a bit rough. Then there is Obama; he's one smooth guy, which may work out well from a job standpoint, but as a chuckle-inducer?

Everyone says Obama is so eloquent, an accolade I still do not agree with (his speeches still bore me, shoot me, but there I said it), however, I can count on him to pronounce words correctly as he's, you know, smart. Maybe in his first few days of office he can say "terrorists" funny or mangle "nuclear," just for old time's sake. Or, if he really wants us to wax nostalgic and give us a good laugh he can just, in a press conference, start to say something, then pretend he lost his train of thought and go, 'Ugh," and say "Ugh," a bunch of times.

Of all the laughs I am going to miss having over W, the biggest is that Letterman will no longer show his "Great Moments in Presidential History." Gee. I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking how much I will miss that one. It was a nightly laugh seeing clips of other Presidents make powerful or poetic statements, then we get a clip of W stumbling across a sentence . . . hold on, I'm getting teary-eyed again just thinking of those fun, fun, memories.

In case I get too nostalgic, don't worry, all I have to do is thing of New Orleans. I'll never forget or forgive Katrina. The disaster was not his fault, and the local and state government deserve their share of blame, but for me, it represented our lowest moment in American History. How he won twice is beyond me. But, let me take this opportunity one more time (I'll see if I can squeeze it again before Tuesday) if you voted for W once, much less twice, you owe this country an apology.

Or as W could have said (as it is believable) in a press conference, "You owe the Americas an, ugh. Ugh. You know, an, well you should, ugh, say you're sorry. Apologize. Yeah. That's it. Okay." Cue a smug smile at the camera. Fade out.