March 30, 2006

Chain Gang

Every now and then someone I know will send me a chain email. I always delete them – I think it’s rude to send them and says something about a person’s lack of intelligence if they feel that they must not break the chain or else.

Oddly, most of the time when I get these mails, it’s from Southerners. For some reason, the Deep South has a proclivity towards voting Republican, God, football, and senseless chain emails.

Tonight I got the oddest one of all. The email had been forwarded to me from someone who got pinged by the chain from someone else who had been pinged and so on. It read: “Congratulations, you’ve been kissed by the dancing baby” (there was an image attached, presumably of that annoying dancing baby that made the rounds on the Internet 5 or 10 years ago).

It went on to read: “send this email to ten people you know within fifteen minutes and something good will happen to you. If you do not send this email, prepare to be shocked and amazed as you will be cursed for ten years.”

What? Who would originate such a thing? Someone who is pissed that “Charmed” is going off the air, or has yet to get over the demise of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer?” I thought it was a great example of a person behaving badly. And it wasn’t just the person who originated this ridiculous email but the person who sent it to me and nine other poor souls that she knows. They both deserve a good old-fashioned ruler slap on the hand by a nun.

Cyberspace seems to be the place where not only bad people go to be bad, but so do good people. Break the chain. In the future, hit the delete key.