June 11, 2005

W: how about showing me the money?

I think it’s really sweet that you are helping your buddies with tax breaks. A recent article by the brilliant David Cay Johston in the NYT reveals that 68% of your tax cuts go the top 10% of the wealthiest. I’m looking forward to one of them hiring me with that extra money and putting me in a highly compensated position. That’s your intention, right?

That, and the fact that the rich will spend more on things like Yachts and couture clothing. I know you think the trickle-down effect will help me, but seeing as I don’t work in the luxury retail end of things, I’m not sure it’s going to help me any more than if the working class could afford to go to the mall more often and shop at the Gap.

Do you remember the third election debate last year? I know, silly question, you’ve got too much on your mind to remember something you told the American people. But a bit over six months ago you told us that the majority of your tax cuts would go to low and middle income people. The truth is 53 percent will go to people with incomes in the top 10 percent over the first 15 years of the cuts, which began in 2001 and would have to be reauthorized in 2010. And more than 15 percent will go just to the top 0.1 percent, those 145,000 taxpayers.

Who gets to shoulder the tax burden? Me. That’s right. Me. Miss No-Prada Binx. It’s as if your tax break are aimed solely to backfire on one person. Me. Look W, Neocons don’t look good in couture. I do. I want a tax break. Give it to me. I won’t misuse it. I have a friend with a yacht (which, by the way, I hear she bought with last year’s tax refund. Just how large are these refunds you are giving out?) and with my new pretty couture dress, bought with money saved from my tax break, I will look just right on her bow or stern or where-ever it is that people on yachts stand. I’ll make you proud. I’ll look filthy rich, just like one of your gang.

Sincerely (truly, sincerely),
No-Prada Binx