November 16, 2005

The Days of Whine and Poses

Maybe it’s the post-op drugs talking, but I don’t think Bill O’Reilly is a bad man. Like Karl Rove, or like Rove used to be, O’Reilly is very good at marketing, specifically, spin. He’s so good and such a genius that he has his no-spin zone, which really, everything is spin, as he must know, and his spin is plain, straight-shooting, whether you and I agree with him or not.

Bill recently insulted my adopted hometown, San Francisco. To paraphrase, because the post-op painkillers make me lazy and keep me from researching, he said that since SF doesn’t want military recruitment in schools, the Feds shouldn’t give them a dime, and furthermore, if terrorists want to attack, let them attack and blow up Coit Tower. That just shows how little he knows about SF. We wouldn’t care if he blew up Coit Tower. Now, if they blew up Macy’s on Union Square we might raise hell, but honestly, it’s too close to Thanksgiving and we need to think about what Cabs we’ll be serving next Thursday, or how long we’re going to brine our Turkeys to worry about blowing up tourists traps.

I don’t think O’Reilly means these things. He even said it was meant satirically; though he’s no Oscar Wilde. Bill makes a lot of money doing what he does, and he does it very well. I just wish he wouldn’t get so huffy when people pick on him. That comes with the job, and makes him no different than W, Libby and for that matter, Paris Hilton.

However, he’s always referring to those liberal whiners who pick on him, and it’s clear it bothers him. Heck, Bill, here’s a reality check: conservatives whine just as much if not more and just because they don’t pick on you, don’t let them off the hook because after all, you’re all about fair and balanced news, no? Here’s some of my fave conservative whines: “I’m rich and pay too much in taxes!” That’s an oldie but goldie. “San Francisco is too liberal, I’m not giving them a dime of my federal money,” is a new one, sure to be a classic. “But there was evidence of WMD, I swear,” is my current fave.