May 18, 2008

Flaming Liberals

A few years back, I had some minor surgery. It was nothing life threatening, but there was a 2 week recovery time that for me turned into 3 weeks because, who knew, I’m a slow healer. I know. I know, it sounds like a metaphor for my life. I’m a slow healer. Or would it be slow learner? I get them mixed up.

One of the things that brightened my recovery was all the well-wishers. My pal Carla sent me crossword puzzles and a little light reading, “The Fountainhead” (Carla, next time, think Beach book. I was heavily medicated). The girls in the office sent me a lovely fruit basket. My wonderful friend Kym came over everyday and made me drink Pom juice. Robby, always the caretaker, called daily, waking me sometimes from my drug-induced nap.

When you are recovering, well-wishers become part of the process, usually the good part, right behind the meds. When I learned of Senator Ted Kennedy’s seizure, I was concerned. He’s an icon in our country’s politics and has been responsible for not only important legislation, but some great stories that are now part of our history, no matter how notorious they are. This morning I cruised the Internet looking for updates on his recovery and I came across an article with a dozen comments left by readers, most bashing him. I tried to link the post to this story, but either blogger or user error failed to make it happen. Anyway, the comments ranged from, "that's what you get," to calling him Obama's puppet master, to, "you represent the worst of American politics." One nice lady from Michigan wrote in saying he was in her prayers.

Good God, what is wrong with people? Forget well-wishers, these folks can’t wait to see him burn in hell. The man is old and dying and no matter what you think of his politics, can’t you just keep quiet if you don’t like him, especially now? You don’t need to display how badly you behave in a forum like that. Go to one of the many “Democrats must die,” websites out there and bash away among your own kind.

I think flamers are a lot like arsonists. No pun intended. They just can’t help themselves. They have to throw that match on the dry brush and watch things burn. There was such relish in the tone of these folks flaming Kennedy. One could argue that if it were George W. Bush in the hospital there would be the same type of bashing going on, just from the liberal side. Yeah, well, I’ll give you that. And I even admit that I might not be motivated to blog about it, but, hmmm, okay, never mind. Flame on, jackasses. It’s embarrassing to watch you do it, but it’s inevitable.

Senator Kennedy, I hope you get better soon. You’re backing the wrong candidate (Yeah Hillary!) but get better and help your team kick some McCain butt.