May 23, 2008

Reporters Gone Wild

Okay, I have to say it again: Poor Hillary. When I heard her remarks about RFK's assassination, I had no problem understanding the point she was trying to make: that her husband nor RFK had wrapped up the nomination till June. And listen, I don't ever understand anything right away. Just ask my 8th grade math teacher, who had to tutor me after work because I couldn't get fractions. To this day, I have a meltdown when I have to figure out fractions. 

OMG, the media is going nuts. Keith Oberman is about to have a stroke on live TV because of Hillary's comments. I thought at first, "okay, this is about ratings." But no, I think he's serious. And it's everywhere. CNN, Fox. Even the local news is going nuts. And forget about the Internet. I read some posts online and Holy Mother of Pearl, who needs hot dogs to roast this weekend, we got Hillary!

What she said was downright clunky, inarticulate, and unwise, but her meaning was clear: she was referring to historical (or in this case, hysterical) precedent that nominees hung in there till June. Now in the case of her husband, it turns out he had secured the nomination weeks earlier. So her point is mute. Nonetheless, her meaning was clear (heck, at least to me) and her apology that followed certainly seemed sincere. The Pundits won't us to spin this that she's saying, "if I stay in, one of my cracker supporters might assassinate Obama." That's better news isn't it then, "hey, we have history on our side when it comes to democrats who haven't secured the nomination by now." The news hounds are saying her campaign is clearly over, her apology was not one, and that this is the most evil thing this evil woman has done in her evil career. Oh for God's sakes. If she quits, all you folks are going to have to complain about are Obama being boring and McCain being old. Enjoy her while you can, pundits. These may, sadly, be your glory days of the 2008 campaign.