June 09, 2008

Big Brown and me

I love horse races. Really, I do, though I never watch them. I like the idea of them. People watching horses and short men compete, drinking (the fans, not the horses or presumably, the short men), women wearing big, stupid, floppy hats. Money being spent. Lots of money being spent . . .

When Big Brown lost the triple crown this past weekend and came in dead last, I felt a kinship to the poor animal. I know what's it like to lose, naturally, and I also know what it is like to lose in a huge way that surprises people so much they have you examined by a doctor, which is what Big Brown's owners did to him.

But something someone said, I think it was the trainer speculating on the horses loss, struck me as unintentionally philosophic. He said, "Maybe the track was just too deep for him and he didn't like it out there."

Yep. I think sometimes the world is too deep for me and I just don't like it out there. That's going to be my new excuse whenever I let anyone down. A friend, a boss, myself, the cashier at Bristol Farms. "Crap, man, it's just too deep and I don't like it out there."

It's the perfect excuse to be a shut-in, except I like to go to the grocery store and browse the wine aisles, and I like to go to Barney's and spend money I don't have, then I like to wear the clothes I bought in Barney's out in public and show off my new over-priced whatever. But other than that, the world is just too deep, and I don't like it out there.