March 30, 2005

Juggling for Jesus

A man stands outside the hospice where Terri Schiavo is dying. He is juggling balls. He looks into the news camera and says, “I’m juggling for Jesus!” I think he might be serious, more to the point, I get the feeling that the “liberal” media is doing the same these days: juggling for Jesus, or at least for his market share. Take CNN and Time for example. They have it bad for JC.


Over the last two years, Jesus and his pals have dominated the cover of Time with such features as, “The Secrets of the Nativity,” “The God Gene,” “Faith, God and the Oval Office,” “The Bible and the Apocalypse,” “Why Did Jesus Have to Die?”, “What Jesus Saw,” and a couple others. I haven't read too many of these articles, and I especially need to ask one of my Evangelical friends who have had Jesus over for dinner recently what exactly Jesus saw.

I usually turn to CNN for my news. I’ve always disagreed with those who say it is a liberal outlet. Now I really disagree. CNN evidently stands for the Christian News Network because every time I tune in, there is yet another story about Christianity, in particular, the Evangelicals. As usual, if the media would stop calling so much attention to a particular issue, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I’m starting to feel like I'm back in Mississippi, and am forced to listen to my high school home-room teacher lead us in prayer. When I turn on my news or pick up a news magazine, I want to know where the latest suicide bomber has attacked, or what civil rights the Republicans have taken away this time. I don't want religion. If I wanted that, I'd listen to one of W's speeches.