August 24, 2005

Good New: W Declines in Polls. Bad News: He's Still President

According to the latest Harris poll, more and more Americans are starting to figure out what Democrats knew all along. It’s easy to hate Bush.

What’s troubling is that there are still 40% of the American population, according to this poll, that like him. To those 40% I have a good-old fashioned Ann Landers-style suggestion: Wake up and smell the coffee.

Are these 40% the type of people who are die-hard fans no matter what their hero does? Are they the same people who defended Michael Jackson, OJ, and Britney when she came out with that awful show? The same people who left the rest of us scratching our heads and going, Why? Are you 40% the ones responsible for such unexplained things like the popularity of awful musicians like Toby Keith, bad TV like Fear Factor (I just don’t get its appeal), and the popularity of the “Chicken Soup” series of books? Are do you just have a hard time saying, okay, “I was wrong. I’m sorry.”

Even when Bill Clinton was running around the Oval Office playing cigar sex with Monica’s hoohoo, I had a hard time defending him. In fact, once, when I lived in San Francisco, I got so mad at something the local democratic government did (I can’t remember what it was now) that I actually reregistered as a Republican. But then, I got over my rash anger. It just so happened that a Republican pollster called me during this time. I have to admit, I took some delight in telling her that as a registered Republican I was pro-choice and felt our grand old part was too exclusionary. And you know what? The pollster hung up on me. The Republican’s get-out-of-my sandbox mentality works all the way down to the polling level.

But I digress.

Who the heck still thinks Bush is doing a good job? He’s wrecking the country. The economy is not strong (and don’t even try to argue with me that it is, that just means you are one of the die-hard 40%). We are polarized as a nation. Bad celebs like Toby Keith still have a career, which is hellish enough, but what’s worse is we are in this senseless war when we should be out hunting terrorist and trying to banish the Toby Keiths of this country to France, who embrace our bad celebs. Thank them for that, you 40%.