March 23, 2007

John Edwards’ Unfortunate Marketing Strategy?

Ever since John and Elizabeth Edwards announced that he would continue running despite the return of her cancer, I’ve heard people muse that he was simply employing a marketing strategy in order to get the sympathy vote. Those are the people who never would vote for him anyway, and probably belong to Bush’s 30% base of supporters.

I can’t judge what Edwards is doing. I think his wife is awfully brave and selfless. I can just imagine if the world spun backwards and in a freakish alternate universe my husband decided to run for President after learning that I had a terminal illness.

“You’re going to do what?” I’d scream when he told me the news. “I’m f@#$%^g dying you b@#$@d! And you’re running for the g!@d#$n what?”

The funny thing is, I’ve been trying to decide who I support: Obama or Hillary. I’ve always kept Edwards in the back of my mind, but with the recent announcement of his wife’s illness, and their agreement that he should run, I admit, I’m a bit wooed. I really don’t think this is a marketing strategy as his critics say, but simple ambition (there’s nothing simple about that ambition of course). So call me a sucker, but I’m leaning toward him. Partly because I think he stands a good chance of winning-over iffy voters, but also because I liked him in 2004, and I like him now. Of course, this could all change next week, depending on Obama or Hillary and whatever crisis occurs, marketing strategy is deployed, or political decisions made. Or I might just decide I plain old like one of the others better. Yep, I’m weak.