December 24, 2006

But What Were You Thinking?

Whenever I opened up a really bad gift that someone had given me, my husband used to say, "Well it's the thought that counts." Now he says, "It's the thought that counts, but what were they thinking?"

I'm someone who believs that Christmas is all about the gift-giving. It's not a holiday for the religious, it's a bonanza for the retailer, and, with luck, for me if I get a bunch of gifts.

I used to be grateful for any gift I got, but over the years, I've come to spot the gifts that had some thought put into it versus the ones given by people who just felt obligated to get me something so therefore, just got me any old thing. Hence, the freaking coasters with birds on them someone gave me from New Zealand. Or the bad CD I was given that came out of a discount bin at Target. It was a compilation of stars that I like to make fun of (Whitney, Celine, etc).

Since I'm into the lists thing these days, here's my list of Lessons I've Learned from Gift-Givers' Mistakes. Or, as Hubby would say, "What were you thinking?

1) If you are going to regift, know that I'll know it's a regift. If you didn't like it, why would I?
2) Remember what you gave me last year, and please don't give it to me again this year. Someone I know has given me the same FREE WITH PURCHASE make-up bag two years running. I get it, you think I'm vain, and you don't think much of me. Next year, how about you not give me a gift? It would hurt less.
3) Wrap it up. Don't hand me something unwrapped and go, "Here."
4) If you are going to buy clothes, for God's sake, at least shoot for the proximity of my taste. Have you ever seen me wear a peasant blouse? No? Why would I want to start now?
5) Nothing says, Merry Christmas like a gift card. If you are really feeling lazy and don't want to get someone a gift, yet feel obligated to (maybe because they give you one) just give them a $25 gift card from a store that you think they might like. If they don't cook, don't buy one from Williams Sonoma. If they haven't picked up a book since Junior High English, a certificate from Borders is a bad idea. If they drink, a certificate from the liquor store is perfect. Which leads me to #6
6) Nothing says Merry Xmas like hooch.