January 18, 2005

Evolution Arrives in Cobb County

By birthright, I’m Southern, though I haven’t lived in the Deep South since 1984. People often ask me, why did you leave Mississippi? I usually quip, why to get out of Mississippi, of course. Truthfully, it’s not so much a dislike for my home state that made me move. I just really don’t like the Bible Thumpers down there. Plus the bars close way too early.

Seriously, and pardon the pun, but Jesus Christ, were they all born in a barn? Case in point: Cobb County, GA. A federal judge Thursday ordered Cobb County school administrators to remove stickers in its high school biology textbooks that call evolution "a theory, not a fact," saying the disclaimers were an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

To all the people who endorsed those silly stickers: evolution is a fact, and that’s a fact. So tear down your confederate flags, close your bible, turn on CNN (Please, don’t turn to Fox), clue into the globe and stop making a chump (or is that a chimp?) out of the South.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Dr. Martin Luther King.