January 08, 2005

Um, thanks, but you shouldn’t have

William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, said that the Tsunami was Asia’s gift to the world. I know, I know, in the aftermath of catastrophe, we often look for ways to explain why there is so much suffering. The Tsunami, he is saying, is a wake up call for everyone. Life is fragile. Live each day to the fullest. For God’s sake, floss.

What happened in South Asia is not their gift to us. They would have been much happier to give us a $25 gift card to Best Buy. And honestly, with everything that is going on in the world today -- and for Americans, since 9/11 -- did we need another wake up call? Nature provides catastrophe, and humans provide narration. We don’t always get the words right. I’m weary of the Donohues in the world saying that it was God’s will, who are we to judge God, he calls his children home when he’s ready for them, yadda, yadda, bite me. I don’t know if he’s right. I don’t know if he’s wrong. But I don’t think he’s right, and I’m offended for the people in South Asia by his comments. I’m offended that anyone would think that answer would supply conciliation.